19 February 2009

Fun with technology

Here's the thing about technology in a developing nation. AT&T wants me to pay $2/minute to use my iPhone in China-- that is receiving and sending phone calls. An unlimited data package costs --get this-- $200!/month. This is not what Friedman means when he says it's a flat world.

Also, bring lots of adapters. You'll need them for your rechargeable batteries, cameras, and any other electrical gadgets from developed nations. Take this example. Having been here for a week I have yet to take a photo. Mostly because my digital cameras rechargeable batteries need some juice. I try to recharge them today. Buzzzt! goes the charger, erroneously plugged into a plug adapter, which I confused for a voltage adapter. Not the same thing. Now I'm out batteries and a battery charger. Therefore no photos, and if I tried to send one from my iPhone it'll cost me an arm and leg. Good times!

And finally the fun one. In lieu of using my iPhone for phone and most of its data capabilities bc the new sim card doesn't work (despite four hours of work on it), I'm trying to use an ages old Nokia cell phone-- that's written in Mandarin. Better still is the fact that when I call someone, the receiver can't hear me. Lovely! The cherry on top is that fact that I don't know the phone number to the sim card, which does (sort of) work in this phone. Yes, folks, life is grand in the 19th century.

I'm a spoiled American. I like Pandora.com, a web site that lets you create your own radio stations and plays them commercial-free. It's fantastic-- but only in the States. I also like Hulu.com, where I would watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I do not, however, have that option OUTSIDE THE US.
On a better note, my podcasts of MSNBC, Brian Williams, Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow, are all functioning properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment